Wednesday, May 11, 2005

CD's worth listening to

As I often do, I am listening to a CD over and over again so I can make sure to hear and understand every note of every song. That is precisely what I am doing with "Holy Land" by Johnny Cash.

.


I am on record as saying that I hate most gospel music. However, this CD shows a deep love for God and a passion to investigate the historical places of the Holy Lands.

My only critique is that he did not include two songs that I feel are his finest gospel songs. The first song being his rendition of "Amazing Grace" which I feel is one of the better versions of that beautiful song. More importantly, he did not include his version of "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?" . This is my favorite song of all time and the most powerful Christian song that I have ever heard.

Despite those omissions the disk is a wonderful mix of songs and narrative with he and his wife June. The first narrative being his discussion of the Holy Land in general and it's worth to the Christian, Jewish and Islamic peoples of the world. He then takes you through different Holy sites, like Cana, Nazareth, Golgotha, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. He wraps it up with a beautiful song called "God is not dead". His reading of Christs teachings from the sermon on the mount are powerful to say the least.

I am also listening to "Chant"
.

This two disk set is absolutely beautiful. It is more calm, beautiful and soothing than any new age disk one will ever hear. Despite the fact that my Latin is as strong as my Mongolian I appreciate the ancient feel and mystery of the chants. What one must understand is that you have to listen to this disk about 3 times all the way through to truly appreicate it. My favorite songs on this disk is Puer Natus In Bethlehem: Ritmo

For those of us who long for the ancient traditions and rituals of the Roman Catholic faith to be preserved, this is a true joy. I was listening to it last night while reading Saint Augustine and found the experience very spiritually moving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Contributors